- see all comments
"How did you download the template for the gingerbread garland?"
"I Can't find the free template download for gingerbread/peppermint garland?"
"Thank you for the article. A lot of useful information. Nice blog!br /By the way, I found a cool article about Christmas earrings. Read if interested https//www.beyindi.com/blog/30-interesting-christm == as-earrings-designs-for-2022.html"
Knit Stocking for Christmas
We are adding the project to your Christmas Projects.
The project was added to your Christmas Projects.
Click here to view your Christmas Projects.
Looking for free Christmas knitting patterns? Look no further than this fantastic Knit Stocking for Christmas project. You'll want to hang this knit stocking every year. This Christmas stocking is a warm white color but has bright red toe and heel. The best part is the cheerful evergreen trees that run around the top of the stocking. There's no doubt that this is one of the more festive Christmas stocking ideas you will find. It's also a simple knitting project that beginners can try, though advanced knitters will enjoy knitting this stocking as well.
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Check out our collection of 11 Old-Fashioned Knit Christmas Stockings to find even more knitting projects you'll want to make for Christmas.
Christmas Stocking Tradition
It’s a Christmas tradition that on Christmas Eve night we hang stockings from our chimneys, but do you know the legends of why we do this? While there aren’t any official documents or records that prove the real reason, there are many tales of how St. Nicholas started putting presents in children’s stockings. One popular story is about an older gentleman with three daughters. He had no money and could not afford for his daughters to get married. He worried what would become of them after his death. St. Nicholas was passing through the town and heard about the old man’s dilemma. Instead of giving him the money directly, for the old man was too proud to take charity, St. Nicholas threw sacks of gold through the window, where they landed safely in the girls’ hung stockings. As this story was passed from town to town, children began hanging their stockings from the mantle to see what Santa would leave for them, so make this stocking and find out!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Aug 29, 2018
I am not a knitter, but I was thinking that I could take some old Christmas sweaters and make stockings out of them. Have you ever used an ugly sweater or reused a holiday one to make a stocking like this before now? I am not sure I could do the knitting, but I can crochet, so I might pick it up faster than I think. Either way, I love your stocking. It is so cute!
Sep 14, 2017
I printed this pattern off and found that on the toe there is not round 3 and you are supposed to repeat round 3 and 4 until 20 st remain. Could you please send me round 3.
Sep 15, 2017
Hi there! I found another source and it looks like the pattern should just feature rounds 2 and 3! Here is the updated text: Rnd 2: Dec 1 st at each end of the instep needle, dec 1 st at beg of the first heel needle and at the end of the 2nd heel needle 4 sts decreased. Rnd 3: Knit. Rep Rnds 2 and 3 until 20 sts rem, end Rnd 2. Cut yarn leaving 8" yarn tail. I will update the pattern presently. I hope that helps! Good luck!
May 12, 2017
Cute project that I could finish in a couple of weeks. Like it for over the fireplace. This project is a great one to start a few months before the season approaches.
Jan 24, 2014
I would like to know if you have any Christmas Stocking patterns from the late 50's or the 60. Thanks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Golf Ball Snowman Christmas Ornament Craft
Score a hole in one with a golfing fan by giving them a Golf Ball Snowman Christmas Ornament Craft. Homemade Christmas ornaments like… Continue reading: "Golf Ball Snowman Christmas Ornament Craft"
- 20 Old-Fashioned Knit Stocking Patterns
- Chunky Knit Christmas Stockings
- Minnesota Chevron Knit Stocking
- Knit Stocking for Christmas
- Knitted Mini Christmas Stockings
- Vibrant Stripe DIY Christmas Stocking
- Mini Mitten Stuffed Stocking
- Simple Striped Stocking
- Heirloom Stocking
- Red and Green Striped DIY Christmas Stocking
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite projects
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Crochet Textured Granny Square Block
- Crochet Moss Stitch Square Blanket Made In The Rounds
- Ribbed Double Thick Crochet Square Potholder
- Easy And Simple Filet Crochet Table Runner
- Super Easy Crochet Bow Tie
- Crochet A Blanket With Spiked Sedge Stitch
- 11 Christmas Crafts for Kids to Create
- 11 Christmas Gift Ideas: Handmade Scarves, Hats and More
- 6 Adorable Homemade Christmas Crafts for Summer
- 7 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments for Kids
- 7 Thrifty Christmas Craft Ideas
- A Very Homemade Christmas: 13 Craft Ideas and Breakfast Casserole Recipes for the Family
- How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts
- How to Make Ornaments: 10 Christmas Ornaments to Make
- How to Make Wreaths: 15 DIY Wreaths for Christmas
- Winter Wonderland: How to Make 8 Snowflakes, Snow Crafts, and Snow Projects