Rustic Wood Snowman Head
We are adding the project to your Christmas Projects.
The project was added to your Christmas Projects.
Add a bit of jolly to your door or outdoor space with a wood Christmas snowman. This happy Frosty is made using bits and pieces from your scrap pile, and the decoration is so shabby chic. This Rustic Wood Snowman Head won't take long to make and you will bust your scrap pile in the process. This is one of those snowman craft ideas that can be passed down as an heirloom winter decoration for years to come. Leave it out all season long and then store it for next winter.
BONUS! Free Printable Christmas Poster
Show your love for DIY Christmas crafts and the season itself with this delightful free printable poster. Hang it on a wall, in your cubicle at work, or on your refrigerator - it'll always make you smile.
Get your free Christmas poster now!
- Scrap wood - 2-1/2 inch and 5-1/2 inch wide
- Jigsaw or chop saw
- Measuring tape
- Wood glue
- Wood screws
- Brad nails
- White acrylic latex paint
- Black acrylic latex paint
- Pink acrylic craft paint
- Orange acrylic craft paint
- 1/2 inch dowel
- Black paint pen
- Drill and 3/32 inch bit
- Baling wire
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- Decorative pine or Christmas floral pick
Show off your spirit for the holiday season with one of these 37 Fun Snowman Christmas Crafts. In this collection of printable Christmas crafts to make, you'll find ideas for outdoor decor, ornaments, and even snow globes. There are also plenty of cute easy snowman crafts for kids to enjoy. Gather up the whole family and create the perfect snowman craft for Christmas.
- Cut three 16 inch lengths from 5-1/2-inch wide wood siding or scrap wood using a jigsaw or chop saw. These are your head pieces. Cut two 12 inch lengths from 2-1/2-inch wide scrap wood for the back braces.
- Lay the head pieces on your work surfaces with the desired right side facing down. Place the long edges together and align the short ends even with each other. Place the braces on the back of the head pieces, across their widths. Evenly space the ends of the braces from the edge of the head shape.
- Apply wood glue between the braces and the head. Attach the braces using wood screws or brad nails. Note: Make sure your screws or nails are not so long that they poke through to the front of the head.
- Using a jigsaw, curve each corner of the head to shape.
- Dry brush the front of the head using white acrylic latex paint. Do not paint the edges or the back. Allow the paint to dry.
- Cut a 13-1/2-inch length from 5-1/2-inch wide scrap wood. This is the hat top. Cut a 20-inch length from 2-1/2-inch wide scrap wood. This is the hat brim. Dry brush the chosen front of each piece using black acrylic latex paint.
- Lay the hat top on the front side of snowman head with the front of the hat facing up. Center the hat at the top with the left, bottom corner of the hat 4 inches below the head's top edge and the right, bottom corner 2 inches below the head's top edge. Apply wood glue between the hat and the head. Securely attach the hat using brad nails.
- Place the hat brim over the bottom edge of the hat top with the front side facing up. Align the long bottom edge of the brim with the bottom edge of the hat. Extend an even amount of the brim from both side edges of the hat. Apply wood glue between the brim and the hat. Securely attach the brim using brad nails.
- Using a stencil brush, lightly pounce two large cheeks on the face using pink acrylic craft paint.
- Using a chop saw or jig saw, cut a triangle from scrap wood that has a base approximately 1-inch wide and is approximately 4 inches tall. This is the snowman's nose. Dry brush one side of the nose using orange acrylic paint. Allow the paint to dry. Center the nose on the face. Apply wood glue between the nose and the face. Securely attach the nose using brad nails.
- Dip one end of a 1/2 inch dowel in black acrylic paint. Dot two eyes above the nose. Draw a large smile on the face using a black paint marker. Allow the paint to dry.
- Attach decorative pine or a Christmas floral pick to the hat brim using craft glue and brad nails.
- Measure down 1-inch from the top edge of the hat and 3 inches in from each side edge. Mark the measurement with a pencil. Using a 3/32-inch drill bit, drill a hole through each mark. Cut a 24-inch length from rusty baling wire using wire cutters. This is your hanger. Insert the ends of the wire through the holes and twist to secure using needle nose pliers.
Free Christmas Craft Video: How to Make a Painted Snowman Cork Ornament
Are snowmen better than angels? Let us know by voting on Most Popular Christmas Crafts: Snowmen vs Angels!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Golf Ball Snowman Christmas Ornament Craft
Dollar Store Snow Globe Christmas Decoration
Stitched Paper Snowman Craft
Wooden Snowman Selling Snowballs
Antique Canning Lid Snowman Ornament Craft
Sparky the Snowman
Wired Felt Snowman
Tiny Quilled Snowman DIY Ornament
Snowman Snack Cups
Crochet Snowman Jar Cozy
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Knitted Mini Christmas Stockings
- Quilted Christmas Stockings from Baby Clothes
- Sparkly Scrubby Yarn Wreath
- 32 Easy Sewing Christmas Gifts
- Texture Duck Tape
- 14 Felt Christmas Ornaments To Make
- 3-D Paper Table Trees for Decorating
- 20 Christmas Wreaths Made from Recycled Materials
- 42 Beaded Ornament Patterns You Can't Beat
- Quick Paper Bag Luminaries
- 11 Christmas Crafts for Kids to Create
- 11 Christmas Gift Ideas: Handmade Scarves, Hats and More
- 6 Adorable Homemade Christmas Crafts for Summer
- 7 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments for Kids
- 7 Thrifty Christmas Craft Ideas
- A Very Homemade Christmas: 13 Craft Ideas and Breakfast Casserole Recipes for the Family
- How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts
- How to Make Ornaments: 10 Christmas Ornaments to Make
- How to Make Wreaths: 15 DIY Wreaths for Christmas
- Winter Wonderland: How to Make 8 Snowflakes, Snow Crafts, and Snow Projects