How to Decorate a Christmas Tree: 4 Popular Christmas Tree Themes
Choose a theme to make your Christmas tree stand out this Christmas!
We are adding the project to your Christmas Projects.
The project was added to your Christmas Projects.
We have already shown you the steps for how to decorate a tree. In this article, How to Decorate a Christmas Tree: 4 Popular Christmas Tree Themes, we go a step further. We will show you some of the most common and fun themes that people use to decorate their Christmas trees around the holidays. This includes traditional Christmas tree decoration ideas, beachy and nautical Christmas tree decorating ideas, how to decorate your Christmas tree by color, and minimalist Christmas tree decoration ideas. These DIY Christmas decorations will give you a jumping-off point for clever ideas before getting your Christmas tree.
When looking for Christmas decoration ideas for your tree, you may see the word "theme" thrown around. Though your Christmas tree does not have to have a coherent theme, it's a fun idea to try. Because you will find that the number of Christmas tree themes vast, find a few of the best or unique Christmas tree theme ideas below.
Table of Contents
Traditional Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas
When watching old Christmas movies or looking at photos from Christmases past gives most people the warmest bit of nostalgia, even for a time we never lived. A traditional Christmas tree is a safe bet because it will be elegant and vintage, an appearance that nearly everyone finds aesthetically pleasing. For traditional Christmas trees, you may want to use bubble lights, silver tinsel, red and white candy canes, old-fashioned wood, glass, or metal ornaments and baubles, bows, bells, dried fruit and nut garlands, or an antique angel tree topper to name a few.
One of the other traditional Christmas tree decorating ideas that used to be wildly popular involves small tapered candles on candlesticks that are carefully balanced on the tree branches. Though, as this is a fire hazard, you probably want to use faux candles to achieve this classic look! Below, you will find some traditional Christmas decoration ideas for your tree.
Angels have always been popular. Find the most beautiful angel crafts in How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts free eBook
Beachy and Nautical Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
Alternatively, if modern is more your thing, you can decorate your tree in different modern themes, such as a beach-themed Christmas tree or even a beach-themed Christmas tree that isn't a real tree at all, like the Beachy Branch Wall Christmas Tree! For a beach or nautical theme, you can use shells in different ways, like homemade Christmas ornaments made from shells or shells strung on a line to make a beautiful DIY garland.
You can fill inexpensive clear glass ball ornaments with sand and hang those around your Christmas tree. Use driftwood accents, for example, a driftwood Christmas star topper. We have some ocean inspiration for you below that is must-sea.
How to Decorate Your Christmas Tree by Color
Another brilliant Christmas tree theme idea is to decorate your Christmas tree with one color. That means the lights, garlands, ornaments, and other accents are all of the same color, such as pink or white. It's a striking and beautiful contrast to the soft green of the tree. Depending on the color, you may be able to find the decorations in your desired color or you may have to customize them. It's not difficult to do.
Making your own customized Christmas garland is easy and fun and can be done in a variety of ways. You can also make or buy simple ornaments from a dollar store and spray paint them in your color of choice. You can also choose to decorate your Christmas tree with two complementary colors or a rainbow Christmas tree theme!
Minimalist Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas
"Clean and simple" is not a term often associated with Christmas as it's an extravagant holiday for most, yet, it's not without its charm. Decorating your tree with one type of material, like this Christmas tree decorated in only gold stars, provides a look that is clean and simple but also stunning and eye-catching!
Accomplish this Christmas tree theme by only stringing lights, using bows as accents, or hanging one type of simple ornament. Many of these ideas are inspired by cultural traditions, too. Though, the options for this look are numerous as you will see below.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- 13 Christmas Keepsake Crafts
- 22 Pine Cone Crafts for Christmas
- Crochet Ornaments: 30 Free Christmas Patterns
- 33 Burlap Projects You Can't Miss
- 2016's Top 100 Christmas Crafts
- 36 Really Easy Christmas Crafts for Adults
- Christmas Around the World
- Free Embroidery Patterns: 10 Christmas Projects
- 9 Free Christmas Crochet Patterns free eBook
- Cultural Christmas Crafts: 22 Traditional Crafts From Around the World
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Repurposed Paper Bag Advent Calendar
- Cast Iron Skillet Handle Cover
- Black Eyed Susan Flower
- Disney Inspired Holiday Princess Printable Gift Card Holders
- Joy and Peace Free Printable Holiday Cards
- Gingerbread Belly Pot Holder
- 28 Fantastic DIY Advent Calendars
- 32 Christmas Sewing Crafts to Decorate your Home
- Reindeer Basket
- Jute Basket
- 11 Christmas Crafts for Kids to Create
- 11 Christmas Gift Ideas: Handmade Scarves, Hats and More
- 6 Adorable Homemade Christmas Crafts for Summer
- 7 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments for Kids
- 7 Thrifty Christmas Craft Ideas
- A Very Homemade Christmas: 13 Craft Ideas and Breakfast Casserole Recipes for the Family
- How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts
- How to Make Ornaments: 10 Christmas Ornaments to Make
- How to Make Wreaths: 15 DIY Wreaths for Christmas
- Winter Wonderland: How to Make 8 Snowflakes, Snow Crafts, and Snow Projects