Red Heart Gleam Yarn Review
We are adding the project to your Christmas Projects.
The project was added to your Christmas Projects.
Red Heart Gleam Yarn Review
Reviewed by Christine Weiher, Editor, AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com
Gleam by Red Heart is a stunningly beautiful yarn any knitter or crocheter will cherish. Wrapped through with strands of gold or silver, this glamorous yarn proclaims elegance and charm.
Red Heart Boutique Gleam Yarn is a medium, worsted weight yarn that is 96% acrylic and 4% other fibers. About 169 yards comprise each skein. For knitting, about 18x22 stitches on 5mm needles produces your 4x4" swatch. For crochet, 12x14 single crochet stitches with a 5.5mm hook produces your 4x4" swatch.
The most distinctive feature of this yarn is the metallic wrapping throughout. These strands of gold and silver wrap unevenly for a really striking look on your finished projects; think small metallic patches with yarn peeking through. When looking at finished projects using Gleam, I'm reminded of gold leaf spread in patches over the work. The effect is subtle. This yarn is not a variegated color-metallic-color yarn, but that very slight hint of the variegated shows with the uneven wrap of the metallic thread.
Gleam comes in 8 colors, primarily jewel tones. A few neutral colors make for gorgeous winter accessories like scarves and hats because they will match most clothes but still possess that slight shimmer. Although metallics are lovely for winter, the jewel tones fit well as bright accessories for any season. The Canyon color---red yarn with gold metallic thread---seems like the perfect accessory to a fall outfit, and Patina---a turquoise and gold combination---would be lovely as a light shawl for summer.
Although this yarn has a metallic thread woven throughout, it is not itchy. In fact, this yarn is deliciously soft. I can't wait to make something with it! A gorgeous crochet cowl pattern can be found on the label, and really it's too pretty to pass up. For a beautiful wedding present, Christmas gift, elegant throw, or really any project, definitely check out this gorgeous yarn from Red Heart.
What's your favorite craft to make for Christmas?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Chance to win Burly Spun Yarn!
- Win a Red Heart Holiday Yarn Duo!
- Enter to win Marvy Uchida Color In Markers!
- Chance to win Brown Sheep Stratosphere Yarn!
- The Best Yarn to Use for Christmas Crafts
- Martha Stewart Crafts Treat Boxes
- Chance to win Bernat Maker Home Dec Yarn!
- Enter to win the 18 Piece Cookie Cutters Set!
- Enter to win a pair of Amplify Mixed Media Scissors!
- Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Snowflakes For Dummies
- Paper Snowflake Ornament
- Gnome Ornament From Paper Rolls
- Printable Grinch Word Search
- Printable Elf on the Shelf Activities
- Bruce The Spruce Tree
- Round Textured Crochet Flower Tablemat
- Easy To Make Rosebud Spring Flower Coaster
- Easy To Make Crochet Sunflower Mini Doily
- 11 Christmas Crafts for Kids to Create
- 11 Christmas Gift Ideas: Handmade Scarves, Hats and More
- 6 Adorable Homemade Christmas Crafts for Summer
- 7 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments for Kids
- 7 Thrifty Christmas Craft Ideas
- A Very Homemade Christmas: 13 Craft Ideas and Breakfast Casserole Recipes for the Family
- How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts
- How to Make Ornaments: 10 Christmas Ornaments to Make
- How to Make Wreaths: 15 DIY Wreaths for Christmas
- Winter Wonderland: How to Make 8 Snowflakes, Snow Crafts, and Snow Projects