Red Heart Gleam Yarn Review
We are adding the project to your Christmas Projects.
The project was added to your Christmas Projects.
Red Heart Gleam Yarn Review
Reviewed by Christine Weiher, Editor, AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com
Gleam by Red Heart is a stunningly beautiful yarn any knitter or crocheter will cherish. Wrapped through with strands of gold or silver, this glamorous yarn proclaims elegance and charm.
Red Heart Boutique Gleam Yarn is a medium, worsted weight yarn that is 96% acrylic and 4% other fibers. About 169 yards comprise each skein. For knitting, about 18x22 stitches on 5mm needles produces your 4x4" swatch. For crochet, 12x14 single crochet stitches with a 5.5mm hook produces your 4x4" swatch.
The most distinctive feature of this yarn is the metallic wrapping throughout. These strands of gold and silver wrap unevenly for a really striking look on your finished projects; think small metallic patches with yarn peeking through. When looking at finished projects using Gleam, I'm reminded of gold leaf spread in patches over the work. The effect is subtle. This yarn is not a variegated color-metallic-color yarn, but that very slight hint of the variegated shows with the uneven wrap of the metallic thread.
Gleam comes in 8 colors, primarily jewel tones. A few neutral colors make for gorgeous winter accessories like scarves and hats because they will match most clothes but still possess that slight shimmer. Although metallics are lovely for winter, the jewel tones fit well as bright accessories for any season. The Canyon color---red yarn with gold metallic thread---seems like the perfect accessory to a fall outfit, and Patina---a turquoise and gold combination---would be lovely as a light shawl for summer.
Although this yarn has a metallic thread woven throughout, it is not itchy. In fact, this yarn is deliciously soft. I can't wait to make something with it! A gorgeous crochet cowl pattern can be found on the label, and really it's too pretty to pass up. For a beautiful wedding present, Christmas gift, elegant throw, or really any project, definitely check out this gorgeous yarn from Red Heart.
What's your favorite craft to make for Christmas?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
With this Christmas project, you will get free knitting patterns for this DIY Mittens Homemade Advent Calendar. That's 24 unique mini… Continue reading: "DIY Mittens Homemade Advent Calendar"
- Chance to Win a Really Reasonable Ribbon Monthly Subscription
- The Best Yarn to Use for Christmas Crafts
- Enter to Win the Martha Stewart Holiday Treats Kit Giveaway!
- Chance to win Burly Spun Yarn!
- Kaisercraft Beyond the Page Advent Calendar Kit
- Enter for a chance to win Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L E-Z Runner!
- Chance to Win a June Tailor Holiday Stocking Kit!
- Martha Stewart Crafts Treat Boxes
- Solar Snowflake Tree Outdoor Christmas Decoration
- Chance to win Bernat Maker Home Dec Yarn!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Holiday Banner
- Christmas Embroidery Hoop
- DIY Kindness Advent Calendar
- Embroidered Wreath Holiday Card
- DIY Polar Bear Pillow
- DIY Snowman Hoop Ornament
- How to make an easy DIY Gnome Christmas Ornament
- Kid-Friendly Pipe Cleaner Christmas Trees Craft
- Gingerbread Belly Flatware Holders
- Snowman Belly Flatware Holder
- 11 Christmas Crafts for Kids to Create
- 11 Christmas Gift Ideas: Handmade Scarves, Hats and More
- 6 Adorable Homemade Christmas Crafts for Summer
- 7 Easy Homemade Christmas Ornaments for Kids
- 7 Thrifty Christmas Craft Ideas
- A Very Homemade Christmas: 13 Craft Ideas and Breakfast Casserole Recipes for the Family
- How to Make an Angel for Christmas: 7 Angel Crafts
- How to Make Ornaments: 10 Christmas Ornaments to Make
- How to Make Wreaths: 15 DIY Wreaths for Christmas
- Winter Wonderland: How to Make 8 Snowflakes, Snow Crafts, and Snow Projects